Thursday 7 February 2013

The Disney/Pixar Effect

I just saw Wreck It Ralph hence my mindless praise-fest of Disney.

A blog post that isn't 5 films that came out 10-30 years ago that you don't particularly care about! Lucky you guiz! Still film related though, sorry about that.
If you've been to the cinema with me you'll know I hate other people. I know that sounds a bit pycho-ey but people who talk in the cinema or are oblivious that they are eating their popcorn at 80db seem to follow me about. I think I maybe notice it more than other people. I'm like Dexter in that episode of Dexter's Lab where he gets super-hearing- pretty sure I'm not making that up.

An image of me watching Django Unchained while junkies chat behind me
Something special seems to happen in a lot of Disney/Pixar films though. They have these little moments, often quite sad, that just turn the cinema completely silent. Not even the sound of Fatty up the back polishing off his tray of nachos can be heard. No e-numbered up kids asking what's going on. The whole cinema is totally transfixed on whats happening on screen.

It totally shits on the phrase 'it's just a cartoon'.

I can think of a few of the most powerful examples. I remember seeing Up on opening night, maybe around 7 oclock so a packed out screen of families, couples and 18-year-old Chris and pals up in the back corner. The trailers are on, theres kids squealing, people are talking over the title card and Pixar logo which also irritates me. But 5 minutes later it was if someone had stopped time in the auditorium but let the film play on. Silence. Large bags of popcorn going untouched. Kids not hamming into their £18 bag of pick n mix and instead looking up at the screen mouths wide open. Even my 4 late-teen friends, all guys, are totally absorbed in it, a small tear rolling down the faces of Matthew Lyon and Colin Du Plessis's faces [as much as they'll deny this].

Imagine the sad Up music playing and this is basically a video of the auditorium

It dosn't just happen once in Up either- there's the bit near the end as well when he's sitting near the waterfall- same effect.

Other times it's happened. I went to see Toy Story 3 with a group of rowdy studenty types behind us. Was dreading the film starting as they constantly reminded each other they were watching 'FACKIN TOY STORY ON A FRIDAY NIGHT INSTEAD O GETTIN DRUNK'. And then *spoilaz I suppose* Andy gives away Woody and Buzz forever. They were hypnotised by it, much like the other 300 people watching it with lumps in their throat.

Even re-releases. I saw Monster's Inc in Glasgow a few weeks ago and was sat next to a family with 3 small chatty kids- usually my idea of hell at the cinema. The whole film kept them more or less silent however, it was an amazing thing to witness. You expect kids to enjoy the action bits and physical humor but to keep them quiet for minutes on end as Sully quietly explains that Boo can't come with him? That takes a serious amount of skill.
*sniff*
Disney do it too. Mufasa in the Lion King. The dance scene in Beauty and the Beast. The lanterns in Tangled. And recently Wreck It Ralph after he...yeah i won't spoil it. There was a moment of beautiful silence though in an auditorium filled with what looked like usual film-chatters. Not stereotyping here, but you can sometimes see them coming...the ones who come in loudly 5 minutes into the film all 'Where we sitting? Oh its started?! You got the popcorn? Do we need booster seats? blah-etc'.

I'll never forget that moment in Cars 2 when....oh yeah.
Well that was that moment in Brave when...
Okay Pixar have lost it a bit recently. You could argue Brave had 1 or 2 moments that slightly showcase the 'Disney/Pixar effect' but certainly the last two entries weren't their best.

I'm just glad Disney are stepping up again and producing quality movie after quality movie.

Thank you Disney

I know these movies are for kids but when I watch a Disney or Pixar I feel like I've kind of been thought about more. Unlike films like Madagascar or Ice Age, which are by no mean bad films but are aimed at more less solely at kids, I'm aware Disney/Pixar have spent a little more time on the story, a little more time on making the characters not just likable for children with colours and toilet-humour jokes. They've given them just a little bit more heart. And it's that reason why these little moments happen.

I feel Walt would be proud.






No comments:

Post a Comment