Wednesday 28 October 2015

Derren Brown: The Ride?


Ah the unpredictability of the theme park industry. A survey was created by Thorpe Park a while ago asking what TV shows guests would like see made into rides and attractions at the park. There was some obvious choices like Doctor Who or Top Gear, you can clearly imagine what those rides would be like. Then there were the more obscure ones. Xfactor for example. And I'm a Celebrity which, bizarrely, actually happened in what looks like some kind of horror maze/gameshow oddity.

This is a thing apparently

I certainly don't remember a Derren Brown option- if it was there I wouldn't even know what they'd do with the 'Derren Brown Ride' concept. I'd imagine it would be a magic show or creepy walkthrough like what they've done with I'm a Celebrity and I'm a man who would obviously prefer a rollercoaster or good dark ride.

But that's exactly what this new ride will be- a dark ride with what I can assume will feature rollercoaster elements. A rollercoaster based on physiological manipulation eh. Sounds different at first before you realise this was more or less the exact theming of another of Merlin's recent coasters- one I'm sure they wouldn't want this new  ride to be associated with.

Coming 2016 - The Smiler 2
It's a brave move but one I'm happy with. As much as The Smiler has such a bad name now and it's future is looking pretty bleak it's theming was original and well done. It would be easy enough for Merlin to stick to the basic Rollercoaster Tycoon menu themes (Jungle! Space Age! Pirates!) but they took a gamble here and it paid off, at least until Summer 2015.

So it's a theme that works but what will they do with it and how will it be different? Being a dark ride opens up a plethora of opportunities- I don't think it'll be a full on coaster with 10 loops and big drops but I think there will definitely be ride cars and a track, especially with such a big budget. Some information I've found on Thorpe Mania reveals that the 'experience' will be around 13 minutes long which suggests that a rollercoaster segment would only be one part of the ride. A 13 minute rollerocaster is unheard of and impossible in the room available...unless they're include a preshow in that time.

What elements could a Derren Brown ride feature? Thinking of other mind mending attractions at Alton Towers- Hex is still a mindf*ck even though I know exactly how it's done. And then there's Thirteen with it's moving track that catches first timers off guard as they're confused what direction they'll shoot off next.

Good old Hex, still confusing

An element of not knowing which way is up sounds like a good idea for a ride that manipulates the mind- it's the feeling the Smiler went for as well in a probably more physical way of continually throwing riders upside down. As the future of big budget theme park rides veers more towards 'robo-coaster' territory it'll be incredibly interesting to see what could be done with the technology to provide some legitimately world-first experiences.

The tone of the teaser trailer is looking promising as well. It feels very unnerving and seems aimed very much at the teen-adult market which is exactly what I think Thorpe should continue to do.

Creepy

As someone who has seen Derren Brown a few times I can tell you he puts on a hell of a show and I've not once left a live show not feeling totally perplexed by what I've just seen. It would be wonderful to recreate that feeling in a theme park attraction with an added coaster-thrill as part of the experience. I can tell this won't be a half assed effort.

Fingers crossed we get more information in the coming months and I might have to find time early next year for a trip down to London. I've not even ridden the bloody Swarm yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment