Thursday 29 March 2012

Chris the Twihard

I quite like Twilight. I don't love it and don't hate it, I just accept its there and think its good at what it does.
To be clear I can only judge the films as I've not read the books. I found myself defending the series today after some friends were talking about how shit the it all is.
I think its a bit unfair to call a film series shit without seeing them fully. 21 year old guys isn't the films target demographic so its obviously not going to appeal to us just by the trailers and clips. To call something shit just because its not aimed at you is like calling Pingu terrible. And why the hell would you do that.
'Oi Chris, I have actually seen a bit of them and the acting is so shit! They can't act'
Are they though? I don't remember anyone coming out of Harry potter and the Goblet of Fire saying 'oosh that Robert Pattinson (sorry if that's spelt wrong, its because I don't care) is a terrible actor'.
Same with Adventureland with Kristen Stewart. She gets criticised for her lack of facial expression and such but I've never found myself asking myself what emotion she's trying to portray. Certainly not the best actress in the world but nowhere near as terrible as people say.
And Taylor Lautner in Abduction, I....
Okay fair play with that one.
But the point is for anyone over 16 its not a series to be taken seriously. Sit down to Twilight film thinking 'I want to be intellectually enlightened' and it'll be a miserable few hours. Go in knowing its not aimed at you and that its just a bit of fun and you'll have an alright time, I did anyway.
Something I'd actually say I really like about the films is the music. It always goes with the feeling of the films and some of the songs are genuinely great. Just look at Neutron Star Collision by Muse- its fantastic. I thought about buying the soundtrack to Breaking Dawn part one after hearing the credit music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX_Z75-4Kbg - perfect
'All that's rubbish, I hated Adventureland and that Muse song with shit, moo moo moo mooo'
Don't watch Twilight then! For every Twilight film there's 10 others about CIA agents or arty indie films about complex camera work and shots that appear to be completely random.
Those films aren't for me just like Twilight may not be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment