Saturday 3 March 2012

Ponies and me

I am a Brony and have been for a good few monthes now. This means I am into My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic. Reading this will either get one of two reactions. The less common is 'oh em gee! Me too! BRO HOOF' and the more common is 'wut? you kidding?'.
It's hard to sum up why I, along with so literally milions of other adults love this show. I'm not even sure why I like it myself. I first became aware of MLP on memebase where the characters from the show were in about 9 of every 10 posts for about 3 weeks. Not wanting to miss out on the joke I youtubed it and was met with what appeared to be a very childish girly show.
From what I hear this was the norm for many bronies. I watched the first 2 episodes and could kinda see the appeal; its a two part story set up a bit like a videogame. Each pony used their talents to get past villains on the way and it ended in a boss 'fight'. The following episodes however didn't really follow that line at all and were just stories of how each pony leanrt something by getting into some situation.
It was by episode 7 I started to get confused why I was still watching episode after episode. This show obviously wasn't meant for me.
And it is now at this point I compare My Little Pony to Toy Story.
I will assume you like Toy Story, most people do. But imagine most people didn't. Imagine Pixar was a very little known company hardly anyone had heard of and you went and saw any of the three films. The humour isnt aimed at you, the subject matter dosnt relate to you as you don't play with toys- its a kids movie. But you love it because it is so well done. Imagine telling a friend who had never seen Toy Story what it's about.
'It's about these toys that come to life and this cowboy doll gets jealous of a space-man doll'. It'd sound weird and childish.
Well its exactly the same with MLP. The target audience isnt adults but it's so well done it attracts them anyway. They even throw in occasional jokes and refrences just like pixar aimed at adults.
The characters are all interesting and have their own personalities and backgrounds. The stories are always entertaining and never feel like we're being forced to learn something. And the whole thing looks so damn colourful it's just great to watch.
Each episode is only 22 minutes long as well so its hardly even a commitment. Its just a nice happy escape into a story with what become familiar characters.
The only way to fully understand is to watch it. Like most people you'll get confused at first but you'll most likely end up coming back for more. For me it started just so i could understand some memes. But then after every episode a whole batch of memes would make sense and become funny. The Brony community is a great one with hours and hours of  fan content to look at if you want more from the show.
In short- liking My Little Pony FIM is not weird and you can't call it weird unless you give it a good go.
Imagine calling someone who just watched Toy Story weird for liking it. What a silly person you would feel after watching.
Love and tolerance people. Love and tolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment