Saturday 14 April 2012

She's a Peach She's A Doll She's A Pal Of Mine

She's as cute as a button
In the eyes of everyone who ever laid their eyes on Cooooorrraaaalliiiiiine.
One of my favourite bits of a film ever.
I love Coraline. It's the first 3D film I ever saw and I'm pretty sure the first ever released. I remember going to see it with two friends, both guys, in a cinema full of young girls and goth types. I also remember the moment I realised the film was completely awesome.
The mouse circus. Surreal and very odd but hugely enjoyable. Coraline is totally unpredictable; when asking yourself 'I wonder what's in the roof of the house?' the first prediction won't most likely be a huge mouse circus led by a Russian gymnast.
You're similarly not going to predict the two old women downstairs are going to strip off and sing opera. The film does whatever the feck it wants but it's a pretty good image of what goes on in a child's mind.
Up to this point the films good but essentially just an odd kids film. Its when it gets dark Coraline becomes totally badass.
The characters have buttons sewn onto their eyes. Its horror movie material in a colourful kids movie package. Even better is the moment you see Other Wybie in the background not smiling and you know something isn't quite right- shits about to go down. It's a creepy little universe they've created and just like how the first half of the film is similar to a child's imagination, the second is similar to a child's nightmare.
I remember watching the demented mouse circus bit just thinking 'what the shit?' And Susan from Desperate Housewives is great in it. The bit at the end in the big web is probably the best scene in 3D I've ever seen.
I've remembered my avid like for this film as they play clips for it along with other kid movies for a channel 4 'family movie Sunday' thing. Coraline stands out hugely though as whereas say Alvin in the Chipmunks 2 is made by adults aiming to make something with as much toilet humour as possible so kids will like it, Coraline actually gets in the mind of a child and remembers the odd fears and weird things we made up when we were younger.
I personally remember a lion coming through my window when I was younger- to me that actually happened. Similarly a monster lived in the hoover cupboard and the washing machine was a vortex that led to my cousins house in England. Yes I was a strange child. But I'd probably be good at writing Coraline 2.
Luckily I think something similar to Coraline 2 is in the works. Paranorman is looking similar, is made by the same people and is coming out this year. Stoked, look up the trailer.
Just to end- I used to be able to sing the entire Other Father Song quite fast. And as soon as I finish writing this I'll most likely get practising again. Hooray for 2am on Saturday night.

...

When she comes around exploring
Mom and I will never, ever make it boring
Our eyes will be on Coraline

No comments:

Post a Comment