Saturday 29 December 2012

Top 10 films I saw in 2012

Thought I'd go ahead and make this list. Tas been a good year of a films. If i was to rate films out of 10 I'd probably give the top 2 films on the list 10 outta 10 with the rest all being nines.

Remember I've not seen every film that came out this year. I feel I'd have liked Prometheus, apparently Lawless was fantastic. I'm not including re-releases either otherwise Titanic and Beauty and Beast would be on here fo suuure.

And now my top 10 films of 2012.

10.The Hunger Games


There was a tonne of hype for this film. I find Katniss just a bit annoying but overall I found myself really engrossed in the film. The build up to the games themselves was well done and the games themselves were exciting and hugely tense. Walking out the cinema I couldn't help but think how I'd cope in the Hunger Games myself. Quite stoked for Catching Fire next year, I just hope Katniss isn't as angsty in the movie as she is in the book.

Best Scene: The start of the Games where they all come up the tubes then all hell breaks loose.

9. The Amazing Spiderman


Did Spiderman need a reboot? I think this film proved that yes, it did. This Peter Parker is a bit more badass, the slight cockiness and humour making him a lot more likable than Toby Maguire as Spiderman. It had more heart and the action was top notch- a very enjoyable super hero movie.

Best Scene: When Spiderman plays about with the thug in the car, showing off the new wisecracking sarcastic Spidey.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle is a thrill ride. Teenagers doing cool levatatey stuff just because they can. I really enjoyed Andrew's slide into madness, it kinda gave it away in the trailers but when he sits there crushing that car with his mind in the scrap yard you know shits going to go down, and it does. The throwdown at the end is pretty spectacular.

Best Scene: When Andrew 'swooshes' the car into the lake and they realise what they're capable of.

7. Argo

As reviewer Jeremy Jahns puts it- 'the most exciting film of the year where no one ever gets shot'. The tension built in this film is unparallelled by any other film this year. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, waiting for someone to be caught or revealed to be a vile American. It also made me hate Iran. It's crazy this film is based on true events. If it wasn't the film would seem almost too unbelievable.

Best Scene: Getting through the Iranian airport, watching tensely as they pass through every security checkpoint

6. The Iron Lady

Well this was onix-pected. I never expected to enjoy a biopic about a political figure this much but it's so damn emotional! Pretty harsh that they portray Maggie T as this batty dementia-ey old wifey when the poor woman is still alive. I never knew much about Margret Thatcher before this film and now I can say I'm quite a fan. An incredible life story told expertly and heart-breakingly sad in parts.

Best Scene: Watching the deceased Mr.Thatcher walk away from his wife down the corridor at the end. Tears fell

5. Looper

It's tough to make sci-fi film quite gritty and edgy but Looper succeeded and worked on a number of levels. It could have easily been JGL chasing after Bruce Willis and vice versa in a mindless action romp but again, it had heart. Deaths were harrowing and genuinely shocking. When there was dialogue is was tense and well written. A lot of people didn't like the end. I honestly can't think of a better one. It wrapped the whole film up nicely.

Best Scene: The meeting in the cafe between Joe and his future self waiting for one of them to snap and kick off.

4.The Artist


The Artist was such a nice film. It's impressive just how much you can feel for a character without ever hearing them talk. If all black and white silent films are as good as The Artist I have a load of pre-20s movies to watch. I'm also a little bit in love with Peppy Miller, jusayin. I notice this film is in a lot of best of 2011 film lists but I saw it in 2012 so it makes the list.

Best Scene: George Valentine's dream of a world with sound is pretty memorable and well done.

3.Seeking a Friend For The End Of The World


I'm a sap. There's no denying it. This film starts as being really darkly funny movie but gets a strong emotional backbone as you realize the world is actually going to end killing everyone the characters you've gone on this little journey with love. The relationship between Carell and Knightley would never work in any other circumstance but in this one it does which makes the ending, given away in the title and first few seconds of the film, really quite tragic and strangely beautiful. 

Best Scene: Lying on the floor of the apartment talking to each other, waiting for the world to end.

2. The Avengers


The perfect super-hero film. Action so good and exciting it warranted 3 separate trips to see it in a single week. I love every character in The Avengers, even the almost totally pointless Hawkeye has his moments. When you put so many big comic book heroes into a film it was always going to be massive and The Avengers definitely was, blowing mine and cinema goers expectation out of the park. I could watch Hulk take down that huge floaty caterpillary thing in the city again and again and again.

Best Scene: The sweeping shot in the city of each hero doing their thing. Full of badassery

1.Skyfall


I wasn't a huge James Bond fan before this film. Now I want to watch every one of them. It mixed the new 'dark' Bond with the more classic Bond formula and wow did it pay off- the action is perfect, every scene as exciting as the last. The villain, also perfect, poncy but menacing. Daniel Craig is just a great James Bond, I can't compare to the other Bonds due to seeing an embarrassingly low number of Bond films but in my head Daniel Craig IS James Bond. Skyfall is a film that impressed me more than I ever thought it could and that's why it deserves the number one spot on this list.

Best Scene: I particularly liked the action scenes on the London Underground. The chase was intense


Honourable mentions to Ted, Dark Knight Rises, Dredd, Paranorman, The Hobbit and Battleship, a film I'm pretty sure no one enjoyed in the world but me. All strong 8s.

And there we are, my favourite films of 2012. Next year is looking like an interesting year for films already; it's too hard to even predict what will be on 2013's list.

No comments:

Post a Comment